Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Everyone Loved Uncle Roy






Lea Ann reminded me of a vacation we went on one year. It was me and Lea Ann , mama and daddy, Aunt Hattie and Uncle Roy and my grandma…. We all went to the Ozarks and camped at the Koa campground… we loved it up there Lea Ann and I would go swimming everyday which was absolutely the most fun. I even got to practice my life saving skills on her in the pool though she had to simulate drowning (I had to help her with that) (she didn’t like it either) and then I rescued her from the pool…we won’t go into that because I think she Is still mad at me over that one. Anyway, when it storms up there it storms and any of you that remember Uncle Roy really well should know that he loved to collect license plates from everywhere. He had a bunch of them. Well all of you also know that Aunt Hattie was always afraid of storms and did her best to make sure she would pull us out in the middle of them to run from them no matter what time of the night it was and it didn’t matter if we were heading straight at them as long as we were either at Uncle Clydes, Mama’s or Papa Obe’s. So you can get the picture at the end of the story Uncle Roy was in big trouble….Back to the camping trip….!!! One night it starts storming really bad. We had a cab over camper and Aunt Hattie and Uncle Roy had a pull tent camper. Lea Ann and I were sleeping with Aunt Hattie and Uncle Roy.. Well the storm comes up and we all evacuate to the cab over with mama and daddy and grandma…. All of us meaning me, Lea Ann and Aunt Hattie… well at first Aunt Hattie was freaking out over the storm (Uncle Roy wasn’t on her radar…) I mean the camper was rocking, the wind was howling and we thought we were going to blow away. Then she realized Uncle Roy wasn’t in there….. She was upset…. !!!!!
Aunt Hattie: I wonder where Roy is? I can’t believe he is out here wandering around in the middle of the storm! He’s gonna get killed!
We were all trying to figure out what he could be doing so we thought maybe he went to the camp ground office to the bathroom or something. So we waited a little while and then started looking out the windows for him….low and behold there was uncle Roy in the middle of the storm wandering around the camp ground looking for license plates. I’m pretty sure he even found one or two the storm blew up….I know he didn’t remove any from people’s cars while it was storming.. Uncle Roy was in the dog house over that one....
I can hear Aunt Hattie right now…. Royyyyyyy what are you doing.. don’t you know its storming out there you need to get in here Roy…….
Anyway, that was Uncle Roy…. I always wondered how he got so many license plates…….. Oh, and by the way, Uncle Roy was just as unconcerned about that storm as Aunt Hattie was freaking out….


Everyone loved Uncle Roy. I will always remember the love he gave me and how much he loved Andrea... Andrea has never forgotten Uncle Roy and never will till this day she still talks about him and I will always have memories that can never be taken away...... I know that he was always loved by all of us. He was a wonderful uncle and made a big impression in my life. I just wish Andrea could have had him in her life longer.

No comments: